This was a very quick make, based off of New Look 6107 and inspired by the many loose-fitting, floaty blouses I've seen in the blogosphere lately. I had always intended to use this fabric and pattern together, but had planned on a more fitted silhouette. I don't know why, because it would have worked against the flowy fabric.
I've made a shirt using this pattern before. This time, I omitted the darts, added a tiny bit of extra width at the hips, added gathers to the CB, and added about two inches in length. I didn't want to deal with the button-down front, since it uses a facing that I knew would show through the slightly sheer fabric, so I changed it to a center front seam. This allowed me to use the burrito method (from Jalie 2921) to attach the neck tie. I love the clean finish it gives. I used a similar burrito method on the yoke as well. With that, the french seams, the bias tape at the center of the neckline, and the bias tape finished armholes, the inside is almost as pretty as the outside.
|Outside on the left, inside on the right! So pretty!|
There wasn't enough fabric for long sleeves, only short ones, and I didn't think that would work with the shape of the top so I left it sleeveless. It turns out I have very few sleeveless shirts in my closet, so it's actually a nice change. Plus there's no fiddling to get a cardigan on over it.
Admittedly this is the
Pattern: New Look 6107
Fabric: "Silk" (I'm skeptical...) from Chic Fabrics - 1.5 yards
Modifications: Lengthened by 2", wider & longer neck tie, omitted darts, sleeveless. Bias tape finished at the CF. Neck tie and yoke attached using the burrito method.