Thursday, March 22, 2012

Mad Men Challenge Dress: Complete!

Mad Men Dress
This is the face I make when I have to take photos around the swarms of people in my neighborhood.  Lovely, isn't it?

Mad Men Dress

I had the hardest time picking an inspiration dress for JuliaBobbin's Mad Men Challenge- there were too many to choose from! I ended up settling on one of Peggy's dresses.



Then I stumbled across this vintage pattern on Etsy.  I'm cheap and I like to make things complicated for myself, so I re-created the look by making a bunch of modifications to a couple of patterns I already had.


I really loved making this dress, and I'm pretty pleased with the result.  It's not too costumey or "big" for work - as much as I love a full skirt, I don't have as many opportunities to wear them because I always feel out of place in them at work.  I can't wait to add this dress to the rotation - it's "me," but not too much. 

Mad Men Dress

Mad Men Dress

Mad Men Dress
The sleeve hem is folded under here :( But it's the best photo I have of the back.  


I can't wait to see what other Mad Men-inspired outfits everyone else makes!

QUICK FACTS
Fabric: Navy cotton sateen & a lighter weight red cotton.
Pattern: Simplicity 2444 and 2209, modified beyond recognition.  The bodice is Simplicity 2444, with the two front darts rotated into a single French dart.  I changed the back to a V.  The sleeves were from Simplicity 2444, but I ended up with mysterious extra ease in the sleeve cap and made them gathered.  The skirt is from Simplicity 2209, with the pleats changed to darts in the back and gathers in the front.  I also slimmed down the skirt to be less of an a-line shape (next time I would take out less), and added the inverted pleat to the center.  The dress is unlined, and all seams are bound in Hug Snug.
New Techniques: Bias bound neckline, 2nd hand-picked zipper.

24 comments :

  1. Wowsers! You are so brave with all your alterations and they all turned out for you! Awesome job! (p.s How did you learn to sew so well? :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm self-taught... lots of trial and error and unwearable garments ;)

      Delete
  2. Mika! It looks so good! I really love the v-back. I was also considering a hand-picked zipper for this project, but I have a bunch of layers of POOFY so I don't think I want to make a headache for myself.

    I love the bow, and the trims match up perfectly in the back. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christina! Can't wait to see yours.

      Delete
  3. Ahhh, I love it! The neckline with v-back and the little bow at the waist are so, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow just so utterly perfect and what I love best is you'll probably wear it heaps because the style is so transferable to today's fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just gorgeous! Simple, classic, wearable, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!! I just found your blog through BurdaStyle, it's very nice! I loved that Peggy's dress so much, you have done an excellent job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful! And the sleeker skirt makes it look just a bit more modern than Peggy's version. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eek! I love this! It's so cute and wearable-- definitely not costume-y at all! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh. I like the dress that you chose. Whenever Peggy wears this, she stands out in a scene. You've made a great adaptation of it.. I especially love the back of the dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the back is my favorite too.

      Delete
  10. You're right - that is a similar pattern to mine! I love how you've used the contrast trims, and I'm another fan of the back neckline!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet sweet dress and you in it! It's simple but with great attention to details. To me this dress is so versatile: you can wear it at work and after work, summer and winter. And so many ways to accessorize it! I am a fan ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interpretation...It's so Peggy, and so you! Nicely done. Hasn't this dress challenge been such fun?

    ReplyDelete