|Sorry, these photos are a little dark...|
To say this dress was a challenge would be an understatement. To start, I had just over 2 yards of this 54" wide fabric, a good chunk less than what's called for. I've generally found Colette's yardage generous, so I laid it out to see what I could do. I was quite pleased to find that I could make everything fit comfortably, despite the directional print and my efforts to make everything symmetrical. So I cut everything out, interfaced, blah blah, and then noticed two scraps of paper on the floor behind my table. Pattern pieces I had forgotten about, of course. Lovely. I juuuuust barely made it work with the leftover bits of fabric, but had to add a seam at the CB of the neckline. Fortunately the print hides it well.
Then I was working on the side seams, and could not for the life of me figure out which side the zip was supposed to go on. First I did the wrong side on the lining, right side on the shell, then I ripped out the shell and realized I should have ripped out the lining, and it went on and on and on. I must have gone through every possible combination at least 3 times.
Then my sewing machine broke! The dress sat halfway done for weeks, until my new machine came and I could finally finish it up.
My first Chantilly is one of my favorite me-mades, so it's hard to love this one as much. Poofy dresses like this, as fun as they are to wear, spend a lot of time languishing in my closet since they would not fly at work. This one will go into the weekend rotation though; the lightweight cotton makes it a great comfy summer dress.
Fabric: Cotton voile print from Fabric.com, cotton voile lining from P&S Fabrics (my go-to for cheap white cotton voile in NYC).
Pattern: Colette Chantilly