1. Wanna-be Archer
So I made this top based off of a vintage pattern, when I was being stubborn about buying the Archer shirt pattern. Due to an unfortunate fabric slicing incident when I was trimming the seam allowances with my rotary cutter, it is admittedly a tiny bit more fitted than I had envisioned and consequently gapes a tiny bit at the front. I wore it a lot in the late summer though, and the rayon is so soft and comfy. I used leftover challis for the fronts from this dress, and solid black rayon for the yoke, back, and buttonband. The pearl snaps were a nightmare to put in, but I finally got them to stick and haven't had any trouble since.
2. Floral Explosion Archer
Then I gave in and bought the Archer pattern, and made this shirt from a cotton floral. The cotton is a little stiffer than I would prefer for a shirt with this much ease - I felt a little lost in it when I first made it up, and decided to cinch it at the CB with loops and a couple of buttons. I don't love how this makes the back fall, but it does improve the appearance from the front. This isn't a garment I love on it's own - a little too much small floral for my liking. I do wear it a fair amount layered under sweaters though, and enjoy the floral in smaller doses. And I know I need to make more Archers in drapey fabric, a la Andrea, because that's more up my alley. I may also try cutting a 2 instead of a 4. I think I was so ecstatic to see my bust AND waist in the same size column that I just went for it.
3. Bomb Girls Shirt Dress
I made this dress way back in June. It began its life as a Saltspring dress from Sewaholic, but the top was a little too voluminous for my liking. So, I hacked off the skirt and made up a new bodice based on Simplicity 4171, nipping the pattern in at the waist. The fabric is rayon with a crepe-like texture (which I suspect contributed to the extra-voluminous Saltspring bodice). I love the vintage-y look of this dress, and that it works well with tights in fall or without in summer. It contains all of my favorite things - a slightly full skirt, fitted waist, side seam pockets, metal buttons, a collar, cute sleeves, and rayon!
Another shirt dress, and more rayon! I used Simplicity 2403, with a gathered rectangle for the skirt and the sleeves from Colette Laurel. This one also got a ton of wear, though it is not without its issues. The waist is a tiny bit big, and the buttons are unevenly spaced. I always forget if the buttonhole ends up below where you start or above, and I got it wrong here. The rayon was too lightweight to rip out the stitches, so I left it. The floral fabric, which I love because I can wear any color of tights with this dress, is not in the best shape - it was a remnant from Etsy and in a couple of places I had to fuse a little interfacing to the back where holes were developing. But it's so nice and soft and drapey that I will wear it until it disintegrates.
5. Dogstooth Laurel
Another Colette Laurel, one that saw a lot of wear for work once tights weather rolled around. I added a little fake pocket to the front. The dogstooth fabric is a woven that feels spongey and stretches like a knit. The black is doubleknit. At some point I would love to re-cut the sleeves, because they flare out towards the bottom in a way I don't like (and it shows through when I put a sweater on). A small complaint though, and an easy fix.
All in all it's been a good year. I'm looking forward to new beginnings in 2014, and hopefully lots of sewing! Happy New Year!