Thursday, January 9, 2014

FO: Lady Lumberjack Archer

Archer #2! (#1 here.)

Lady Lumberjack Archer 3

I'm pretty pleased with this one, though style-wise it's pretty different from what I usually wear.  I started this right after Christmas, and just could not get myself to go to the store to buy matching thread and enough matching buttons.  The cut out pieces lay neglected until I finally ventured out over the weekend to the closest store to me that stocks thread.  The 25 minute walk took about 45 minutes because people in my neighborhood seem to have decided not to shovel their sidewalks or put down salt.  I may as well have put on some ice skates and skated over.  Next time.

Lady Lumberjack Archer 5

Anyway, armed with matching thread and buttons, I sewed this up yesterday.  Other than a broken needle when I was trying to topstitch through a bazillion layers of flannel and a small error due to overzealous seam allowance trimming, it went together without a hitch.  I put the collar together per Andrea's tutorial, though I think Jen's method also works well.  I seem to get better top stitching results with Jen's instructions, and better button placket/collar stand alignment with Andrea's.  I also did faux flat felled seams on the armscye and side seams.

Lady Lumberjack Archer 6

The only other construction change I made was to form the hem of the button placket by folding the placket to the shirt right sides together first, sewing across the bottom at the hemline, turning right side out, and then folding the rest of the hem up as usual.  It's a little tricky to explain, but it's very similar to Tasia's tutorial here for the Minoru jacket.  I prefer this method because I think it reduces bulk at the CF hem, and everything lays nice and flat.

Lady Lumberjack Archer 2

I cut this in a 2, one size down from last time.  There is still plenty of ease, which I don't mind for a comfy, casual shirt.  Next time I may try folding out the pleat at the CB and adding a couple of fish eye darts for a more fitted version.  I also lengthened it by 1.5", since I wanted to wear this with my fake pants - essentially glorified ponte knit leggings, so I feel more comfortable in them when my butt is covered.

Lady Lumberjack Archer 4

My only regret is not cutting the cuffs on the bias, to match the button placket and yoke.  Oh well.  This shirt will serve me well during this particularly cold winter we've been having.  Unfortunately the fabric is sometimes too warm for my overheated NYC apartment, but at least outside I will be nice and toasty.

Lady Lumberjack Archer 1


QUICK FACTS
Fabric: Plaid cotton flannel from Fabric Mart
Pattern: Grainline Archer
Size: 2, lengthened by 1.5"
Mods: Bias-cut placket and yoke.

Anyone else making anything cozy to see you through the winter?

7 comments :

  1. Love this! The plaid is great -- a sophisticated take on lumberjack. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute and cozy! Plaid terrifies me but someday I want to make a shirt just like this. Perfect for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Especially the bias-cut placket - such a cute touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! You're making me want to make one now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely top! I also want to make a flannel archer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job! You lined up the bias on the placket perfectly... that's the first place my eyes go on a shirt like this. :) I love the way you finished the placket, too- I'll have to do it on my next (inevitable) Archer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's gorgeous - plaid is such a perfect print choice for this pattern! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete