Wednesday, January 29, 2014

FO: Layer Cake Plantain Tee

I'm back with my latest Plantain tee!

Layer Cake Tee Front

I am really enjoying the versatility of this pattern... just like I did with Colette's Laurel, I am planning on multiple versions.  This one is a sweater knit with poly crinkle chiffon at the hem.

Layer Cake Tee Side


Layer Cake Tee Back

I changed the hem of the tee to a high-low one, and the chiffon is just a rectangle the width of the fabric and about 8" tall.  I folded it over to create the two layers, and hemmed it by folding the edge up by about 1/2", then doing a small zigzag over the fold and trimming the excess fabric.  I'm very pleased with this method (which, fingers crossed, is holding secure so far) because it didn't interfere as much with the drape of the fabric as all of the other methods I tried.  Plus, it was relatively quick - I had no interest in spending hours hemming.  I gathered the rectangle to fit the sweater hem, basted it in, and then secured the two together while hemming with a double needle.

Layer Cake Tee Side Detail

Other than that, the only changes I made from last time were my forward shoulder adjustment (which worked, YAY), and sewing the neckline with the prescribed 5/8" SA for a narrower binding.  I still used 3/8" SAs for the rest of the tee, since this sweater knit has very little stretch and I needed the extra room.

Layer Cake Tee Detail

This shirt helps to fill the gap in my wardrobe for long sleeved items to wear with pants; with the frigid weather we've been having in NY, tights just have not been cutting it and my clothing options have shrunk considerably.  So pleased to add this to the rotation!

QUICK FACTS
Fabric: Sweater knit from (now closed?) Jem Fabrics Warehouse, & poly crinkle chiffon from Fabric.com
Pattern: Plantain t-shirt from Deer and Doe
Modifications: High-low hem and chiffon ruffle

27 comments :

  1. So, so awesome! Love the ruffle detail, I might have to copy this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am dying over your hem treatment, i absolutely love the chiffon ruffle! that's such a perfect way to dress up a plain tee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I super love this!!! Have some pleated navy chiffon in my stash and I might just have to copy cat you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! I would love to see it.

      Delete
  4. So cute - this is sweet and girly without being over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would never have thought to add a ruffle, but your top looks great! It's cute without being twee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a creative use of the pattern! I love that the ruffle is a little bit sheer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's my favorite part too.

      Delete
  7. Love this! It's so cute and wearable! I'm such a sucker for sheer details like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I love it!! It gorgeous!! I want it!
    Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your version of the Plantain! I'm currently researching various styles/hacks of this pattern to make my own and I have to say I'm loving your chiffon ruffles idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really pretty version of Plantain! Thanks for the tip on sewing chiffon hem, it sounds easy and practical.

    ReplyDelete