Wednesday, January 22, 2014

FO: A Plantain Tee

When I saw Deer & Doe's new Plantain tee pattern, I knew it would make a great basic.  Plus it's free!

Plantain Tee Front
Ugh... iPhone photos. :(
I made up this top as a muslin.  The fabric has been sitting on my shelf for quite a while, one of those prints that I loved online but felt less pleased with in-person.  It's actually been surprising that I've found myself reaching for it this week, which I think is a good sign for my relationship with this pattern.

Plantain Tee Collage

This is a size 36, sewn with 3/8" seams rather than the 5/8" called for.  I prefer 3/8" on knits, and I was between sizes so this gave me the extra room I needed.  I do wish the sleeves were a little bit more fitted, so I think I'll try either altering the pattern to fit the sleeves from my beloved Jalie 2921, or sewing with the intended 5/8" SA for a closer fit.  I also definitely need a forward shoulder adjustment on this... the shoulder seam moves back a good 1/2-3/4" while I'm wearing it.

As for future versions, I'm definitely making one with this fox print from Girl Charlee:


I've also got a sweater knit & chiffon combo idea, and a white tee with some fabric paint embellishment.  Anyone else making a Plantain?

QUICK FACTS
Fabric: Rayon/poly knit (I think) from Fabric.com
Pattern: Plantain t-shirt from Deer & Doe
Mods: 3/8" SA

6 comments :

  1. It turned very well :-) I should make one too;
    I love the fox fabric :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute tee! i keep seeing this pop up and feel like i should give it a try, even though i already have a perfectly fitting renfrew pattern...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fox print, super cute and super intrigued to see your chiffon/knit combo idea!
    I am planning a couple of Plantain tees in wool jersey. I like how this pattern skims more of my problem areas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really surprised I haven't seen more Plantains popping up yet because it's such an awesome pattern. I've always shied away from print tshirts, but yours is really cute & the fox one will be a winner I'm sure :-) My versions so far are all simple but they're instant wardrobe hits

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great on you and I'd love to see that fox print made up!
    I have a plaintain sitting on my sewing table just waiting for me to change the thread on my overlocker (so it could be a while). But there are many more planned in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I would love to see it in the sweater knit + poly. That fabric sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete